Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Fantastic Planet (1973)

 Hi fellow animation fans, welcome to my review of Fantastic Planet.


Synopsis: On a strange alien world, the giant blue aliens called the Draag keep humanoids called the Om as pets or treat them as vermin, to be exterminated on a schedule. But a saved Om that gets named Terr (Jean Valmont) discovers a way to learn via a Draag device and he uses this knowledge to plot his escape. During his escape he meets another Om and introduces her to the device that helps him learn, so she takes him back to her tribe, where the learning continues. This leads the Om's to embark on an odyssey that will change the dynamic of their planet forever.


The Good:


* The art style throughout really brings to life the strange alien planet inhabited by the Oms and Draag, with my personal favorite being the weirdly, wonderful plants that seem to have an unusual life of their own.

* I like the way that this artistic vision lets you make your own assumptions about the story and meaning, I like to think it is about how education is key to a better life, whereas others may see it as a warning about treating others badly.

* I also quite liked the low-key sci-fi music throughout, it really suited the weird alien world shown on screen and reminded me a lot of Pink Floyd.


The Bad:


* I honestly feel this is more of an art piece, a statement to the world instead of a movie, for one simple reason there is very little entertainment, don't get me wrong, like art it is spectacular, thought provoking and well worth looking at (watching) but I honestly won't be in a rush to do it again.


                      IMDB 7.7/10             Rotten Tomatoes 91%            Me 7/10

Terr (Jean Valmont) the smartest of the Om's.



No comments:

Post a Comment