Tuesday, May 21, 2024

South Park: The End of Obesity (2024)

Hi fellow animation fans, welcome to my review of South Park: The End of Obesity.

Synopsis : When the new miracle weight loss drugs become available in South Park, Cartman believes his days of being teased are over and he can be the skinny kid he dreams of being. But when he learns that his mother can't afford the drugs and their insurance refuses to pay as he is not Diabetic, he loses hope, and it falls on his friends to help him out.

The Good:

* I honestly really enjoyed the way they were able to spotlight two massive problems in America, the ridiculous American health system plus the inequality when it comes to medicines, without feeling overly preachy.
* I even found myself laughing out loud at a few places, something that I have not done while watching South Park for quite a while.
* I also really like that some of the characters are actually showing personal growth after all these years, Cartman admitting he is not just big boned and Randy Marsh finally putting in some effort to keep his marriage together. I hope they continue this new direction, instead of keeping the characters locked in statis.
* The ridiculous Mad Max styled ending was highly amusing.

The Bad:

* The Cereal characters were mildly annoying, but I suppose it's better than getting sued if they used the actual CEO's of the sugar companies.
* Quite a lot of drug use was shown, some people may not appreciate this, even if it is used to make a political point.
* I honestly don't think a 58 minute run time should count as a movie, although it could just be my Australian streaming service trying to charge a larger rental fee by classing it as a movie.

                IMDB 7.2/10          Rotten Tomatoes 75% (audience score)      Me 7/10
The kids staring at Cartman after he ate a cereal bomb.


No comments:

Post a Comment